We’re always on the look out for crafty ways to raise the style stakes. So, we turned to our DIY expert, Kit Lee for tips on how to create an easy, chic alternative to a traditional Christmas tree, especially good for small spaces.
‘This simple garland of fairy lights is transformed by strips of organza ribbons, creating a beautiful and subtle adornment for any urban space,’ says Kit. ‘Wrapped over tree branches, it’s a pretty alternative to a tree; or, on a smaller scale, use it as a table centrepiece, giving a contemporary and modern feel to your living space or office.’
Kit’s top tips
- Choose bold colours to stand out against the fairy lights.
- Use a clear glass vase if you have one – it will help to reflect the light across the room.
- Use taller branches if you’re going to sit the vase on the floor as an alternative to a Christmas tree.
- Alternatively, attach the garland around the edge of a window frame for a welcoming glow.
- Not wanting to sound too Health & Safety, but don’t forget to turn the lights off before you leave the house or retire to bed.